History of

400 S. Center St.

EBENSBURG, PA

 

 

 

This exquisite Queen Anne Victorian masterpiece was built by Alvin Evans. Mr. Evans, a prominent Ebensburg attorney, served two terms in the U.S. Congress and was president of First National bank. His daughter, Florence, married Judge John J. Kephart and they raised three children in the home. Ater working as the Cambria County Solicitor in Ebensburg, Judge Kepart, won a seat on the Supreme Court for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1919. Kephart became Chief Justice in 1936, serving in that capacity until his retirement in 1940.

The original part of the home was constructed in 1885, with a significant expansion added 10 years later. It is now a "contributing building" included in the Ebensburg Historic District, which is formally listed on the National Register of Historic Places. While this designation places no restrictions whatsoever on future renovation or alterations to the property, it does open the door to potential funding sources if the the home were to be developed in any way for commercial purposes.

Click here for a video tour of some of the home's historic touches.

 

 

 

 

Click to return to residential property listings